Job reference: STP006
Optimum Student Support delivers highly specialised, individually tailored academic and mental health support services to students and privately funded clients at all educational levels including, schools, colleges and universities in the UK.
Due to the expansion of our specialist service, we are looking to expand our team of dedicated and experienced specialist tutors. We are looking to recruit qualified teachers to provide additional support to students who may need extra support due to their disability. Often, students will require ongoing support throughout their studies; others might require less support as the course continues; while some students might need additional support as the demands of their course intensify.
About the role
We are looking to recruit a qualified specialist tutor for students with a specific learning difficulty (SpLD) or with ASD to join our team. You will have the ability to support, motivate and encourage students to develop and achieve their full potential in education, helping them to develop strategies to overcome their barriers to learning. It is imperative that you have experience with students with SpLD or ASD. You will have the ability to be sensitive to students’ needs and should have an understanding of additional support needs.
For some students this support will need to be ongoing while for others it might be gradually phased out or only be required at certain points of their course.
Location: Gloucestershire / Worcestershire / Warwickshire
Main duties and responsibilities:
You will be required to provide 1:1 support to students with a SpLD or on the autistic spectrum, providing individually tailored sessions for each student according to their individual needs.
You will assist with such things as:
- managing change and difficult emotions
- dealing with difficult social situations
- developing social and communication skills
- helping with study skills
- having a healthy school/life balance
- structuring workload
- organisation and time managment
- any other issues that the student brings to the sessions
Furthermore, you will be required to:
- deliver tutoring sessions according to Optimum Student Support guidelines and Code of Conduct
- manage paperwork effectively, i.e. completing time sheets and Individual Learning Plans (ILPs)
- represent Optimum Student Support in a professional manner, this includes adhering to our policies regarding confidentiality and safeguarding.
Qualifications, Skills & Experience required:
- You will be educated to degree level (2:1 or above) and hold a teaching qualification.
- You will have comprehensive training in adults with autism which must include:
- Completed all 5 NAS core autism online training modules (Understanding autism; autism and communication; autism, stress and anxiety; autism: supporting families)
- NAS tutor-led course ‘Understanding Autism’
- ‘Introduction to autism and the SPELL framework’
- Hold a PG Certificate in Autism/PG Certificate in Asperger’s
- A recognised SpLD qualification is required with evidence that you also hold a full or associate professional membership at an SpLD body, including: PATOSS, BDA, ADSHE or Dyslexia Guild.
- You must be able to assess learner’s needs and devise an appropriate Individual Learning Plan (ILP).
- It is imperative to understand the needs, objectives and constraints of others.
What we can offer you:
- Salary – £28 per hour
- Holiday Pay
- Flexible hours
- Various types of contracts available
- A dedicated team who you can contact at any time to provide you with support
- Ongoing training and professional development
- A personalised support email address
- A photographic ID card.
The working hours vary according to the needs of the student and the number of students you will be allocated. All Optimum Student Support employees must be able to receive emails and phone calls when on location. Tutoring sessions will take place at our tuition centre in Cheltenham or at the student’s school or college.
Optimum Student Support Ltd is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. Optimum Student Support Ltd is a Disability Committed employer and promotes diversity in employment and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
To apply, please send your CV and cover letter to the email address below, stating the job reference number.