Job reference: SSSPLD004
Location: University of Reading, Berkshire / Farnham, Gloucestershire
Optimum Student Support delivers highly specialised, individually tailored academic and mental health support services to students who are in receipt of Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA). We are passionate in supporting our students to address any barriers they may face towards their learning which are created by a particular impairment, e.g. mental-health conditions or Specific Learning Difficulty (SpLD).
At Optimum Student Support, we pride ourselves on employing only the best tutors to contribute to making a difference to our students. Due to the expansion of our specialist service, we are looking to expand our team of dedicated and experienced specialist 1:1 study skills tutor at the University of Reading.
About the role
Specialist 1:1 Study Skills Support is academic study skills tuition for students diagnosed with Specific Learning Difficulty (SpLD), which may include Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) and Dyscalculia, in addition to other possible disabilities.
We are looking to recruit a qualified study skills tutor to join our team. You will have the ability to support, motivate and encourage students to develop and achieve their full potential, helping them to develop strategies to overcome their barriers to learning.
You will have the ability to be sensitive to students’ needs and should have an understanding of additional support needs.
For some students this support will need to be ongoing while for others it might be gradually phased out or only be required at certain points of their course.
Main duties and responsibilities:
Our highly specialist tutors will deliver individual study skills tuition, using a range of multi-sensory strategies to facilitate independent learning and support students to identify their own learning styles and strengths.
Tutors will work with students on a one-to-one basis developing academic competences such as:
- time management and organisational skills
- efficient strategies for reading academic texts
- note taking from texts, hand-outs and in lectures
- research skills
- mind mapping and planning techniques
- proof reading strategies
- approaching written assignments
- memory techniques and strategies
- revision methods
- analysing exam/essay questions.
Furthermore, you will be required to:
- deliver tutoring sessions according to Optimum Student Support guidelines and Code of Conduct
- manage paperwork effectively, i.e. completing time sheets and Individual Learning Plans (ILPs)
- represent Optimum Student Support in a professional manner, this includes adhering to our policies regarding confidentiality and safeguarding.
Qualifications, Skills & Experience required:
- You will be educated to degree level (2:1 or above) and hold a teaching qualification.
- A recognised SpLD qualification is required with evidence that you also hold a full or associate professional membership with PATOSS,
- Full professional membership with BDA, ADSHE or Dyslexia Guild.
- You must be able to assess learner’s needs and devise an appropriate Individual Learning Plan (ILP).
- It is imperative to understand the needs, objectives and constraints of others.
What we can offer you:
- Salary – £28 per hour
- Holiday Pay
- Flexible hours
- Various types of contracts available
- A dedicated team who you can contact at any time to provide you with support.
- Ongoing training and professional development.
- A personalised support email address.
- A photographic ID card.
The working hours vary according to the needs of the student and the number of students you will be allocated. All Optimum Student Support employees must be able to receive emails and phone calls when on location.
Optimum Student Support Ltd is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. Optimum Student Support Ltd is a Disability Committed employer and promotes diversity in employment and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
To apply, please send your CV and cover letter to the email address below, stating the job reference number.